Friday, September 25, 2009

Make Your Own Laundry Soap

This tip comes to me from my cousin's wife Cassie.


Powdered Laundry Soap
1 C grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 C Washing Soda-it is in the isle with the laundry detergent
1/2 C Borax-also in the laundry isle
Her report:

I used the food processor to grate the soap and then used the chopping blade to mix it all together. Store in a strong zip-lock bag (or an old oxiclean container!).

For light loads, use 1 tablespoon.
For large or heavily soiled loads, use 2 tablespoons.

*My only issues is that you need to dissolve the soap in hot water, which means I'm turning on the hot, pouring in the soap and then switching it to cold. Next time, I think I'll try the liquid version, even though it does take a little more time and effort:

Liquid Laundry Detergent:
3 pints water
1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap, Grated
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax
2 gallon bucket
1 quart hot water
hot water

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a suacepan with 3 pints water, and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in washing soda and borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to 2 gallon bucket. Add soap mixture and mix well. Fill bucket with how ater, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup per load.

I've also heard that you can used distilled vinegar instead of laundry softener in a Downy ball.... but I'm not brave enough to try that one yet. One step at a time. :)
I am excited to try this. It has got to cost less than regular laundry soap and you could add a scent using the Febreeze laundry freshener.

No comments:

Post a Comment