Monday, October 5, 2009

Silver Polish

I recently aquired a small silver spoon collection from my late Grandma Ada.  I love these spoons and wanted to display them on my wall but they are were all tarnished.  I don't have any silver polish and, at the time, didn't have any money to buy some.  So I scoured the internet for ideas and found two.  I tried them both and here are the results.
1.  Use white toothpaste to polish silver.  Put some toothpaste on a soft cloth and polish like you normally would.  Rinse off and presto, shiny! 
This works like a charm.  However, I have noticed the tarnish comes back rather quickly and I spent most of the day polishing those spoons.  I think I am going to have to buy some real silver polish.  In a pinch, the toothpaste will work.  Such as the Queen is coming for tea and you need your silver polished quickly and you are out of silver polish and your maid is off for the day and polishing silver in not in the butler's job description.   Just buy the polish.  It will save the headache of having to do it again too soon.
2.  Put some baking soda in water on the stove.  Heat it up and place a piece of tin foil in the pot all around the sides and bottom.  Put your silver in the pot and let the tarnish cook off.  The silver must be touching the foil. 
Yes, this is as big of a pain as it sounds.  And, it really didn't work that well.  Again, just buy the silver polish.  I didn't bother with pictures for this particular tip because it just isn't worth the time.  You can find  pictures if you google this technique if you really want to try it. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment