Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Handmixers and other things that can make you bleed

I have learned to keep the appliances unplugged in my house.  My son decided to inspect my hand mixer (the kind that you can chop things with) one morning while I was in the shower.  I had left it on the kitchen counter, plugged in and he couldn't resist.  He was 10 at the timeand waiting for me to shower so I could take him to school.  Just before I started washing my hair, he came into the bathroom holding his hand up with blood running down everywhere.  I am, of course, aghast at the scene before me and tried to get the details of his injury.
He had picked up the mixer, which is ergonomic, and flipped it upside down to examine the bottom.  His masculine instincts to play with things sharp and power driven took over.  He stuck his finger on the blade and proceeded to spin it around.  At this same time, his other hand ergonomically placed on the start button, tensed and pressed the on button.  The blade spun around and cut the top of his finger.  The only thing that prevented it from getting sliced off was his fingernail, and the impulse to drop the mixer.
Looking at all the blood, I jumped out of the shower to deal with the gore and tried to stop the bleeding as best I could.  I spent about 20 minutes calming him down and bandaging him up, all while naked and dripping wet.  There just isn't time for clothing when a mom is faced with the chopped up finger of her son.  Happily, I got him calmed down and was able to get dry and dressed.  He was too traumatized to notice I didn't have on any clothes.
Fortunately, the doctor's office had just opened and he could look at the finger.  No stitches, just a tight bandade and he was off to school.  He got there before the morning bell.  I've decided that the military slogan, "We get more done before 9am then most people do all day" really should apply to mothers. 
The moral of the story is.....unplug your appliances when you aren't using them and don't shower until after you have taken the kids to school.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my!!!! Was this recent?
    Sounds terrible. I agree w/all you said.....
    We really do get tons done before 9AM and I don't think I EVER get a shower before the kids are off to school. :)

    ReplyDelete