Friday, October 2, 2009

Grandma Ada's Pie Crust

My Grandma could cook.  Here is her fabulous pie crust.
Makes enough for 4 double crust pies.

4 C unsifted flour
1 3/4 C butter flavored Crisco
2 T Sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 C water
1 T distilled white vinegar
Recipe makes 4 double pie crusts.  I usually roll all of it out and put rolled dough into a pie shell, then into a large plastic bag and put it in the freezer until I need it.  I also roll out the top crust and just roll it up in some plastic wrap and put it in the freezer too.
Combine flour, sugar, and salt.
Cut in shortening and then add in beaten egg and vinegar.
Add water as needed. Dough should not be too sticky.  It should be slightly tacky to the touch.  
Do not knead this dough too much.  In order for pie crusts to be flaky, they need to be handled as little as possible.  Kneading the dough will activate the gluten and make for a tough dough.  Mold dough into a ball, flatten it and refrigerate for at least an hour before trying to roll it out.  Keep dough that isn't being rolled out into a pie crust refrigerated.
Roll dough out onto a floured surface.
I usually roll all of it out and put rolled dough into a pie shell, then into a large plastic bag and put it in the freezer until I need it.  I also roll out the top crust and just roll it up in some plastic wrap and put it in the freezer too.   This way I have extra pie crusts and pie shells ready to go when I need them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment